Happy Columbus Day. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend! Or maybe you are continuing to enjoy an extended weekend if you have the day off today. I spent the weekend down the Cape with a bunch of friends. It was great weather and a fantastic time, but more to come on that later.
Tim and I each picked a recipe to try out and bring along for everyone. I chose apple-streusel muffins to have for breakfast on Sunday morning, and Tim decided on a peach salsa to go along with the chips. He wanted to try a new salsa since his pineapple salsa was so successful the last couple times we’ve made it on our own.
Did you all think from the title of my post that the apple-streusel muffins and peach salsa were meant to go together? Cause that would be silly.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup shredded apple with skin
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with a fork; stir in buttermilk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in apple. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters of the way.
- In a small bowl, combine pecans, flaxseeds, and remaining brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spoon pecan mixture on top of muffin batter.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack 5 minutes; remove from cups.
Fitness Magazine tells me that each of these muffins has 163 calories, 4g protein, 25g carbohydrate, 6g fat (1g saturated), and 2g fiber.
Silly me forgot to take a picture of the finished product!! Sadface.
- 2 peaches, peeled and medium diced
- 1 mango, peeled and medium diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped <— left this out because of a Greek that doesn’t do spicy food!
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss all the peaches, mango, onions, jalapeno, lime juice, oil and cilantro together in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Both recipes were a big hit!!
Question of the Day: Do you have a go to dish that you bring along when you stay at friends houses? Recipes welcomed!
Off to morning heat yoga on my day off to kick start my week. Have a good one 🙂