Happy Friday everyone! That’s what I’m thankful for as part of the November Be Thankful Challenge today: weekends!
Don’t hate me cause I still haven’t posted some of the recipes from my party two weekends ago. I’ve just been trying to keep you in suspense, that’s all.
If you’re entertaining this weekend and need a good appetizer idea, this is a good one! Just don’t try preparing the dish when you are super tired. Because then it’s hard to slice up a shallot. And you also might forget what you are supposed to do with the chopped mushroom stems.
Bacon and Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 large stuffing mushrooms, about 2 1/2-inches in diameter (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon (4 ounces)
- 1 shallot, halved and thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, chopped (2 ounces)
- 2 slices toasted sandwich bread, finely cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 ounces plain Greek yogurt mixed with bleu cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and set aside. Place the caps, stem-side down on a baking sheet and brush the outsides with the oil. Bake until soft, but still holding their shape, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crisp the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve the skillet and drippings. Finely chop reserved mushroom stems and add to the bacon drippings along with the shallot and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until mushrooms are dry, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and continue to cook until the spinach wilts,1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add the bread cubes and lemon zest. Chop the cooked bacon, and combine with the mushroom mixture. Place the caps stem side-up on a separate baking sheet and evenly fill each cap with the stuffing. Bake until the mushrooms are hot and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Place a piece of blue cheese on each mushroom and continue to bake until the cheese just begins to melt, about 3 minutes. Serve.
What’s your favorite way to stuff a mushroom?