Do you like eggplant? It’s one of those vegetables I never really ate growing up but now that I’m so old and mature I really enjoy having it. Plus word on the street is that eggplant only has 20 calories per cup. And with 3 grams of fiber, vitamins A, B, C, Folate, and minerals like potassium and magnesium, calcium and phosphorus… you can’t really go wrong.
The word eggplant is funny to me. It’s definitely one of those words that if you stare at it long enough, it looks REALLY weird. You guys know what I’m talking about. The word “napkin” is the same way. Eggplant. Def weird.
Eggplant Parm Casserole
- 2 medium to large-sized eggplants, sliced the long way
- 2 eggs
- Whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar of tomato sauce
- Ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a plate in the wheat flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat one egg.
- Dip the slices of eggplant in the egg you just beat, then cover in flour.
- In a pan on the stove-top, cook the eggplant in the extra virgin olive oil until soft.
- In another bowl, mix the second egg with the ricotta cheese, basil, and ground pepper.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer in the following order: Eggplant, ricotta, sauce. Do this until you are out of eggplant. You will want to also end with the eggplant.
- Cover with desired amount of sauce and sprinkle with desired amount of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
This makes for great Sunday night comfort food, although you should grill the eggplant instead of fry it if you want healthier. The dish also makes for delicious leftovers, especially if you eat it cold the next day. Something to make this weekend, perhaps? If you are craving eggplant but not necessarily in the mood for this casserole you can also feel free to check out my posts on Healthier Eggplant Parm as well as Grilled Eggplant and Chickpea Salad. Those won’t disappoint either!!
Fans of eggplant? Yay or nay?
Hope everyone is wrapping their week up nicely and gearing up for a fun and relaxing weekend ahead. Catch you later!