I’m here today with a new recipe for you!
If you follow me on Snapchat (@fitnessandfeta), you got a sneak peek the other night into some recipe creating that Tim and I were doing for the Super Bowl on Sunday. Let’s be honest, I always care more about Super Bowl food than I do the Super Bowl itself. Who else is with me here? We actually aren’t even sure what our plans will be for watching the game this year, but either way I wanted to come up with a fun game time recipe for those of you who do have plans and are looking for something fun to make.
My goal was to create an F&F version of a party favorite, and we decided we wanted to recreate the traditional jalapeno popper! Here’s the recipe:
Spicy Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Jalapenos
Makes one dozen stuffed jalapenos
- 6 jalapeno peppers
- 1 hot chicken sausage
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To cook the quinoa, combine 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove the chicken sausage out of its casing. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat, then place the sausage in the pan and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the quinoa and sausage are prepared, mix them in a large bowl with the plain Greek yogurt, paprika, shredded cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Prepare the jalapeno peppers by slicing them in half lengthwise, tearing out the rips, and removing the seeds.
- Stuff the peppers with the quinoa and sausage filling, and top with additional cheese if desired.
- Cook for twenty minutes, and enjoy!
If you end up making these, let me know how they come out!
For additional Super Bowl food ideas, check out this Super Bowl menu from a party we hosted a couple of years ago. You might also like some of these recipes:
- Apple brie bites
- Caprese party skewers
- Chicken burrito pizza
- Eggplant ricotta bites
- Flourless chocolate chip blondies
- Grilled pineapple chipotle salsa
- Homemade pretzels with honey mustard sauce
- Lamb and spinach meatballs
- Mediterranean stuffed mushrooms
- Spanakopita bites
- Turkey, barley, and veggie chili